Today, one increasing crime is theft, and the catalytic converter in your car does not go unnoticed by thieves. This crucial part of your exhaust system is responsible for changing dangerous engine byproducts into harmless gasses before releasing them into the atmosphere. It is required by law for motor vehicles to have them to protect you, others, and the environment.
You might be wondering, what makes this part so valuable? It's not shiny like diamonds or luxe like a sports car. Well, catalytic converters are made with precious metals, including palladium, platinum, rhodium, and more. While they aren't flashy, thieves know that they can turn the piece into cold, hard cash.
Unfortunately, victims of catalytic converter theft have to fork out $1000+ for replacing one. Furthermore, damage to surrounding parts may increase the repair costs too. To prevent this unfortunate event from happening to you, there are ways to protect your vehicle's cat.
Ways to Prevent Catalytic Converter Theft
- Park your car, SUV, or truck in well-lit areas where thieves aren't as tempted to steal. You may even go as far as installing motion-sense lights on your vehicle or at your home.
- Store your vehicle inside a garage or secured parking garage.
- Install a video surveillance system in your parking area at home.
- Add a security device to the converter itself. Some drivers have the converter welded onto their vehicle's frame or have the vehicle VIN # engraved to the piece. This makes it easier for you to find it if it gets stolen.
- If you have a vehicle that sits higher off the ground (like SUVs or trucks), try to park in between vehicles that sit closer to the ground so that stealers don't have easy access to getting under your car.
If you are a victim of catalytic converter theft and require a replacement, please do not hesitate to call or visit Accomplished Auto today.